I found a new way to decorate paper for letter writing. I used a circle hole punch in a piece of cardstock, leaving a 3/4 inch border around the circle. I dobbed ink with a sponge inside the hole and onto pieces of looseleaf that I had cut to 6×8.Then I used a corner rounder to edge the looseleaf (not pictured).
I made jewellery storage for all my stuff in a previous post, except for this one bulky necklace that doesn’t fold very well; it has to be hung. I slept on the problem for a while and came up with this.
I got sick and tired of the 4 sponges Hubby bought me for cleaning that I never use because I’m a microfiber girl. They’ve been sitting under the kitchen sink for 3 years. Most of the sponges got cut up and put in giant planting pots to help hold water and cut down on the amount of dirt I’ll need.
I cut one sponge into 2 kid size pieces, set the kids up at a plank outside, gave them a bucket of very watered down purple paint and had them dob a dozen or so white envelopes and turn them purple. They spread the envelopes around the yard to dry, which took 15 minutes and everyone had fun. I didn’t do any work and I got beautiful envelopes.
In an effort to add visual interest to these future flower vases, I “drew” patterns across the front with a heavy Nivea cream. I used Nivea because it’s white and I can see what I’m doing. Vaseline would work too. I applied globs of the cream, shaped as crudely as possible, with my fingers, then trimmed it up with q-tips to smooth the edges.
I found these pieces of quartz in the swamp where we used to live in Eastern Canada. I had just laid them out on my kitchen window ledge but I wanted to up the ante. I took this Bunsen burner heater, yes from your first year chemistry class, and used it to help with the display.
My grandmother gave my sister and I some gorgeous pieces of jewellery to play dress up with. In my unpacking, I found them all. I wanted to have them out again since I had loved them so much, pretending to be a queen and such, but my kids are too young to be trusted with such things.
I reassembled any necklaces that had broken then bought two glass vases at the dollar store. I asked my daughter, who has taste in such matters, to help me divide the pieces between the 2 vases that we were going to display. This is the result and they’re in my kitchen window. I always look at them fondly.
I cut a blue shirt my son outgrew into thin strips and crocheted them into a chain.I hot glued the chain around an empty tea bag can I had painted blue to match.
I had this ill fitting lid kicking around holding scrapbooking scraps. When I upgraded to a cut out milk jug I needed to find a new purpose for the lid or throw it out. I recently painted the top of my small filing cabinetwhich sits beside my laptop and I used to always put my coffee on it, leading to stains. I didn’t want to stain my new paint job so I settled on the idea of making a coaster.
I spray painted the thing with a white primer then painted the sides blue. I crocheted a long chain of blue garden twine that Hubby had bought me to tie up my tomatoes and hot glued it down in a circular fashion both on top and inside the lid. Voilà, coaster!
So I finished me my cod liver oil supplements and was left with a largish, brown bottle. What to do, what to do? Flowers!
I cut the top off with a meat knife (I think a hacksaw would be slightly more effective but I haven’t unpacked mine yet), then ran the raw edge along a medium-hot iron to smooth it down. I freestyle hand painted this rose on the bottlefrom:
filled it with dirt and planted “Oopsy Daisy” calendula seeds. I labeled the back of the vase with the name of the plant, when I planted it and when it will sprout (8-10 days) just so I’d know since I’m the idiot gardener.
I bought an acrylic office organizer for my office where I could keep all those notepads, usb keys and other odds and ends corralled. It’s made of a clear acrylic and just lacked some pizazz and colour coordination.
I keep in on my newly painted mint green filing cabinet so I kept the colour in mind when I mined my scrapbooking collection and pulled out these aqua pieces.I just measured each slot and cut the paper to fit. I only applied glue (“Close to my Heart” liquid glass) along the top of the paper to hold it in place