I cut a blue shirt my son outgrew into thin strips and crocheted them into a chain.I hot glued the chain around an empty tea bag can I had painted blue to match.
I had this ill fitting lid kicking around holding scrapbooking scraps. When I upgraded to a cut out milk jug I needed to find a new purpose for the lid or throw it out. I recently painted the top of my small filing cabinetwhich sits beside my laptop and I used to always put my coffee on it, leading to stains. I didn’t want to stain my new paint job so I settled on the idea of making a coaster.
I spray painted the thing with a white primer then painted the sides blue. I crocheted a long chain of blue garden twine that Hubby had bought me to tie up my tomatoes and hot glued it down in a circular fashion both on top and inside the lid. Voilà, coaster!
I took a wine bottle cork, pushed a finishing nail into it, leaving about 1/4 inch hanging out the bottom which I coated in hot glue then pushed a 2×2 Lego brick onto the hot glue.
I formed a “pot” out of aluminum foil to protect the burner from any wax spills and melted a blue crayon and a 1 in square piece of parowax in an empty, small metal candle container which I put inside the aluminum foil “pot”.
Once melted I poured a bit of wax on my envelope and let it cool considerably before pressing my Lego seal into the wax.
A week ago my daughter asked me for a small Christmas tree for her room. I figured, why not and pulled out the very top portion of our artificial Christmas tree. The problem was finding a stand for the thing. I tried a metal waste paper basket that came with the house but that sucker was solid and I couldn’t put a hole in it for the tree at all.
In the end I took 2 empty coffee cans of differing sizes; one tall, one wide; that used to hold Lego blocks but the kids dumped out. Hey, if I need more of them, we just keep drinking coffee. I coated the wide one with Mod Podge and tinsel and left the tall one plain. I put the tall one in the wide one and the tree in the tall. Voilà, small Christmas tree beside bed.
I was keeping all my seeds in an empty coffee can, but now I have the time to make it pretty. I painted, wrote “seeds”, added a beautiful bouquet sticker from my stepmother’s collection, Mod Podged the lid to seal it and wrapped the last of the purple gem garland around it.
Two more painted containers for pretty storage.I just happened to have paint in the exact blue colour of the lid so I added some stripes and didn’t paint the side of the lid. Now it’s a container for my sewing ribbons.
There is no need to bother with a “before” picture, it sucked. We moved in, I put stuff wherever and voilà, cluttered dresser.
Now I’ve had some time and a bottle of Martha Stewart vintage decor paint in antique sky ($9 with coupon vs $16). I used a foam brush (I had a bag of them from somewhere) and I’ll never use a bristle brush again. The foam gives the most even and uniform application ever. I’ve also rounded up some bottles and containers to use said paint on and voilà, beautiful, grown up dresser.
One empty wine bottle, one empty beer bottle and one empty coffee can. I soaked and peeled the label off the beer bottle and buy then it would have been cheaper to just buy a jewellery stand- but not as pretty. I didn’t bother removing the label from the wine bottle and it turned out ok. The ribbon came from a box of chocolates Hubby bought me. I sort of wove it around the bottles to hold them in place. The two bottles are for my bracelets and the can is for bulky necklaces.
This was an Illy coffee can that I painted. I tore a strip off a large white cotton sheet that I use for multiple sewing projects and stuffed it in the can so the jewellery would be near the top. I put my bulky necklaces in here.
I found a Tupperware drink container with no lid and painted it. I filled it with rice and shoved all the makeup brushes in it. For the shorter brushes I put a Dixie cup inside another and painted the outside, then tied it to the larger Tupperware with a nice ribbon.
I put my eye shadow palette on a small wooden easel used for plates.
This was a little nail and screw organizer for the tool room but I have something better for that in the garage so that left this piece homeless. I painted the outside and wanted to pain the drawers but they wouldn’t have fit back into their little slots if I’d done that so I lined them with pretty scrapbook paper.
PS- about the paint. It says it takes 2 hours to dry between coats, not on glass it doesn’t. The glass bottles required 4 coats, the paper Dixie cup 2 coats, the plastic brush holder 3 coats and the coffee can 3 coats. You’re best off waiting 4 hours between coats although 6 would be better. Otherwise the new coat strips off the one underneath and you have to start over.