Our 4 bathrooms need some decorating. I managed to pull something off in the little en suite bathroom in the master bedroom, but the rest of the house was SOL. I’m not useless at making halfway pretty things so I crocheted a doily. The problem, and it was a big problem, was that the pattern sucked. It was poorly written, confusing and left a lot of room for interpretation. Overall I think I did pretty well but the end result was a very bunched up doily. And a note written on the pattern to never use it again.
I used a homemade mixture of 1.5 cups filtered water (Brita) and 2 tbsp. cornstarch. Stir well. I had to soak the doily a little bit because it’s made of acrylic yarn that doesn’t readily absorb water. Then I laid it out flat on a tea towel, put another over top and added a heavy textbook. I left it that way overnight.
In the morning I took off the top layer of pressing material so the doily could dry properly and not smell like a wet towel.
I’d say that my cornstarch mixture produced a lightly starched doily. If you want something stiffer just add another tbsp. or two of cornstarch.