It took 4 days of work and school starting to get this done but here it is.
BEFORE I would love to have been able to do this for free, but I just couldn’t.
Here’s what I bought
$9.99 can metal spray paint
$9.65 fabric paint
$7.99 thrift store queen size sheet to make pillow cases (because eventually the thrift store sheet you bought 8 years ago for sewing things just runs out and you need to buy a new one)
$3 each for the metal plant stands
The interesting thing about the plant stands is that I was on my way to Value Village to donate a metal drying rack I haven’t used in 5 years and no one I knew wanted it, a tablecloth I never used and can’t remember who gave it to me, a hand towel with a stupid pattern on it that I never liked, and the one doll my daughter had to trade to get the whale she wanted me to knit for her.
Exactly in front of me was a couple donating the planters, among other things. A deal was struck and I got the planters for cheap.
I also made these pillows for the sofa to match.The cushions came with the couch and were a dark, geometric pattern. Functional, matched the couch, but sombre.
Here’s what I had for free
black corduroy pants (between my 1 o’clock pee and 3 o’clock pee, the arse end somehow ripped entirely)
the 2 couch cushions
2L pop bottle for flower design painting
Let’s start with the pillowsI measured the pillow from seam to seam and it was 52 cm. I rounded up to 53 to allow for mistakes then added a 1/2 inch seam allowance on both sides of the pillow case. I multiplied by 4 and added 20 cm for the flap. I folded the sheet length in half, then in half again, right sides facing, leaving the flap out of the folding until the end when I sewed it pouch facing outward. When you turn the pillow case right side out the flap will be on the inside and you can tuck the pillow in it, no zipper required.
The entry way stuff
The big blue bin in the BEFORE picture contains my lab uniforms and rock climbing gear. Since I decluttered the basement craft room, I put it there, under the Lego bin. There, now I have space in that nook for my nice new mitten holders.
The painted plant holdersFrom that, to this. 2 coats of Tremclad Hammered Gold and enough paint left over to spray the really rusted metal dog yard ornament that came with the house that the kids love so much.
One of the planters had a tray in it made of polysynthetic resin. I painted it purple.
The wall hanging
Instead of fighting with Nature trying to measure and cut a straight line in the pant legs to salvage the cloth, I cut through the bottom hem and ripped it all the way to the top. The grain of the cloth ran top to bottom so it tore in a straight line!
I cut one piece about 2 inches shorter than the other so I could fold the longer piece down as a casing for the dowel. Again, decorative zig zag/serge stitch.Then I painted my things, the vine was done free hand and the flowers were done by dipping a 2L pop bottle in paint (I reblogged this technique and that’s what inspired me).
NOTE: you need way more paint for corduroy because you have to fill in all the grooves.
Then I rearranged the entry way.This floor mat was overhanging the piece of laminate that broke up the hallway from the living room. Since Hubby will always dump his work bag there, I just cut the mat on an angle to fit firmly in the hallway. I put two 3M Command hooks under the window and put each kids’ initial on one and that’s where they will hang their bookbags when they get home from school.
The planters are now for the winter mittens and the feet warming house socks for the kids hanging on the bottom.
The view from the sofaBookbags hung under window , “it’s cold in the morning” sweater hung on the cloth covered hanger I made a few posts ago, blue on blue.